The Many Travels of Mrs Pickles

Look here for tales from the many travels of my friend, Phyllis Bridget Gallagher as she globetrots. I met the dynamic Phyllis on a trip to Ireland in the spring of 2001 and she is still GOING! Bridget, you inspire me to travel more!

Sunday, January 25, 2004

First Chance Since Canada Margaret Does Not Have A Computer

Hello my free spirit followers,

First chance since I got here to get to an internet. The flight was great from Vancouver. I got an upgrade of all things rode first class all the way. Stoped in Hawaii for a few hours actually was able to sleep who couldn't just about had a bed all the way. Sat next to a high mucky muck. Magristrate from the high court. Why not a backpacker next to one of these guys. At the end of the trip got all the infor I needed in case I need assistance if ever in Vancouver. Margaret picked me up in Sydney.Worked on her chicken farm. 180,000 bloody birds. Did the dead bird pickup in the am and ran sheep in the afternoon and at night Margaret and I drank. She now has a boyfriend which made things different from last year. In the meantime I had to get in order what I'll be doing starting on Thrusday which will get into later on. Yesterday afternoon I thought I was back in Darwin again. Never did I see a thunder storm like this one. The entire sky was a blaze with lightening and the thunder shook the ground. The wind knocked out everything in it's path including the electric. Hale the size of iceblockss rain like it was a northeaster at home. This went on for over an hour. It was really scary. I left this afternoon from St. Mary's to here in Sydney and the electric just came on. The only electric was for the birds as the generator was turned on. This am brought down the electric kettle and plugged into one of the chicken sheds so we could have a cup of coffee. The aroma of the coffee unfortunately did not take over the aroma of the bird shit oh well.

I am in Kings Crosss at a great hostel now. Just booked in found a empty bunk only met two of the roomies two guys one from Wales and the other from Germany. The other four were not there noticed the big shoes under their bunks however hope I have at least one female .This place has it's own laundry, huge kitchen and an unbelievable court yard. It's on a street with alot of other hostels and bistro's. It almost looks like Europe. Two street's over is where all the queens hang out. Still want my picture with one of them before I leave. Quite an interesting place. At least it's not dodgy where I'm at.

For those weak at heart do not come to Australia as the bugs, spiders, snakes catapillars, you name all can kill you. I had the usual spider in my room that it's body is spread out as big as a coffee cup. He is harmless actually you want him there as he eats the white tail that like to get into peoples beds and the occasional red back. Outside on the lawn are the burrows where the Sydney funnel web lives. He is deadly huge in size and aggressive. Disturbed he stands up on his two hind legs and thows the rest of his legs in the air. You can actually see his fangs. I took one out of the pool at Maragarets the other day (dead of course) and had a good look. Ssnakes are everywhere in the country however you are lucky to see one.

I leave Sydney at 7:15 am on the train to Grafton than I have to take a bus to Ballina which does not arrive until 8:30 that evening. I have a hostel booked plan on going to Bryon Bay to the beach the next day and get picked later in the pm by one of the people I shall be working with. It's a retreat house that houses runaway's. Part of my job will be planting trees and bushfood what ever that is. Working with the kids with the animals mostly cows I guess and one horse. I don't know how long I'll be there but will give it a try.

Tomorrow is a holiday here like Canada only Australia days. Have it already planned. St. Mary's Cathedral is only down the road from where I'm staying. They are having a climb into the belfreys at 10 12 and 2:00 pm.. I hope to get to see the bells. I climbed all over the Cathedrals in England so why not one here. Like the steeples thing kinda creepy but good. And for you Bob I shall be hearing the whole nine yards again at 2:30 pm at the Cathedral. I already got you a CD of the organ. Shall be thinking of you while I listen to that amaziing choir. The rest of the afternoon going to Sydney Harbour for the fireworks, plays ect and of course the pubs. HOpefully will have some new friends I haven't met yet that will go with me.

Shana if you are leaving in May for Italy maybe I can catch up with you in Scotland. Where abouts are you. Give me a contact number.

Darby I went through RootyHill on the way to here saw our rollercoaster. Will call you this week.

Will also go to the place in Bryon Bay to have one of the veggie burgers and of course will stop in at the railway pub for good times sake. Won't be the same there without you.

Dave and anyone else my mobile number here is 0439854487. I think the country code is 61.
I believe the time change here is 16 hours ahead and again will change when I get to Ballina.

Jude I have been invited to go to South American with one the women I worked with in Darwin. Maybe we can meet up there. Traci wants to meet up with me in September.

Elke I shall be coming to Holland with Matt Matt. He is back in Darwin. Traci and the squire from the blue heeler say hi to you. It will be great to be all together again.

Mark seems odd going to pubs here in Oz without you. Need to find a place to dance on the bars.

Joan so glad that your session was a good one with your students. I shall be using my reiki where I'm going on Thrusday.

Mary I shall visit you when state side again. Never did see Penn. How about meeting up in Ireland again.

John do take care and don't eat any yellow snow that is for you Dave as well. Dave I don't know how to get into my messages yet. Have to waite until Tuesday to go to Testra to get it figured out.

Wish I could answer you all indivudally but can't. Will be on again before I leave God only knows what is in store in a few days wether or not there will be any internet access as I shall be out in the willy wags again.

And to you Chris maybe you could take the exam here in Oz and take the family out of the Bangor winters. Please say hello to Fr. Harvey for me.

Wally what's happening. Give me one of your great letters.

Keep in touch love to get mail from all my friends.
Face your fears and live your dreams.
Love and hugs to all
Bridget Phyllis what ever you want to call me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home