The Many Travels of Mrs Pickles

Look here for tales from the many travels of my friend, Phyllis Bridget Gallagher as she globetrots. I met the dynamic Phyllis on a trip to Ireland in the spring of 2001 and she is still GOING! Bridget, you inspire me to travel more!

Monday, December 19, 2005

change of plans

Taking advantage of getting this email in as Sarah and I stayed back with the cook and driver while the rest left for white water rafting. We leave here around 10 am for Jinja. We were there once before to make our lunch def. going to upgrade tonight for a dorm. A beautiful place right on the River Nile. We all help each other with the tents cleaning up plus doing all the dishes ect. There is music of all types playing while we are on the road speaking of which some of them it is difficult to even call roads they are so ruff and bad. As we near the market towns the people go crazy as we go by it almost makes you feel famous. they are also nice as well. The women go up and down hills with such large loads upon their heads and babies hanging off their backs. Some of the young children wear clothes some don't. Everyone has a bicycle with a large seat upon the back with two ring type things near the pedels for the feet. They are usually loaded with bannans heading for the market towns or people sitting on the backs. When I got my matress a guy gave me a ride down to where they were at first a bit scary as they go like hell and everyone is trying to beat the next guy. After negoations and locating another bike with driver we loaded the mattress upon his seat and started back for the truck. No one has running water in their houses so you see people filling their big yellow plastic jugs in the rivers, streams anywhere there is water. The are also places where a well has been driven for clean water. Cows and goats are always coming or going up or down the roads with children as young as 5 driving them to where ever they are going. Banna trees are in an abduance as well as sugar cane lots and lots of veggies growing truly a site to see. There is so much to tell but not possible to convey the feelings inside. As to the usual question regarding snakes. Haven't seen one yet and probably won't did not see any even in the jungle. I take a maleria pill every Wednesday use Rid a mossi spray from Australia which seems to do the trick. The weather is great a bit hot but better than bloody snow. Time to leave now keep on sending the emails.

Keep on dreaming guys
Me

Mark from England and Lisa from Ireland this is a must trip for your next one. Let me know will give you all the details the booking is out of the UK.

Emily can you get what ever needs to be done for my phone? I guess I need roaming as it would be good to have something especially in some of the places we are going to. I will pay you when I get to the UK and also expect a package to arrive of clothes I will be wearing when I get to the UK. I probably will be doing that sometime in January. Let me know what's up with my phone as I will put back my vodofone sim card.

Kim yes you are coming in loud and clear thanks for sending them onto Darby.

Jim and Russ will call you on Christmas eve the best I can do for time ok?

Jude I have lots and lots of airmiles maybe a trip to the Yukon sometime this summer for a few days to see you. Start saving this trip is the one to do.

Carole what's going on with the relationship

Mary S. Keep on with the emails this is a bit different than Ireland

Lee Hope I can connect via phone when I get back to Kenya in a few days def. will be before we get
into Narobi. Miss you loads.............

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home