The Many Travels of Mrs Pickles

Look here for tales from the many travels of my friend, Phyllis Bridget Gallagher as she globetrots. I met the dynamic Phyllis on a trip to Ireland in the spring of 2001 and she is still GOING! Bridget, you inspire me to travel more!

Monday, January 26, 2004

Australian Day

G'Day

Ozzi day was great. Walked from the Cross to the Cathedral for the Bell towertour. The best one yet. The usual winding till you dizzy little steps than you get to a small door where you are now on top of the Cathedral. A cat walk over roof tops steps up to another small door and wow a hughe room with carpets and a ref. no less. There are 12 bells and the ropes are in the centre for the ringers. Most of the ringers were there and showed everyone how they do changes ect still don't know what they are talking about. This took about 1/2 hour when anyone who would like to see the bells was announced by this guy to follow him. There in the corner was more step ladder like things a hugh trap door in the ceiling and than another one further into the darkness. Finally after reaching the second dark spot there was light. They are incrediable bells. Crawled up another ladder to get some good pictures hope they come out. After all done and back in the Cathedral again the hughe organ was being played. Great morning. Got a day tripper pass and went out to the Olimpac Park which is about 1/2 hr outside of Sydney. The celebrations there for the Australian Days was unbelievable. There were many shows, stages and the talent in all was like paying for something you would see in New York only this was all free. I left before dark as I'm in a dodgy area and did not want to walk around alone.

When I arrived back to the hostel a couple I had met two nights before had extra food they cooked and asked me for a meal. Great why not. After we walked ( about 8 km) to Darling Harbour to see the fire works. The Sydney Sympathy orchestra with a the chorus was in the middle of the harbourr on a large boat. There were speakers everywhere so you could hear the orchestra. The layout of Darling harbour is shaped like a horseshoe a flash place as well. We got up onto a bridge so we could see the show of fireworks. Everything was syn. with the orchestra and chorus in the background ending with the Australian Anthem. From there naturally we were thristy so went to one of the many bars for a drink ended up dancing to Techno music for the rest of the night. The walk back was long as it was all up hill. The Cross was busy at that time of night with all the working girls hanging about but no queens. Tonight is the night for that. I'm def. going to get a pic with one. Remember them Darb when we were in the Cross?

I leavetomorrow at 7:15 am for a 14 hour journey mostly by train and about 4 hours by bus to Ballina. The hostel is picking me up when i arrive in Ballina and Thrusday the next adventure begins.

By the way temp today is 28 (about 80 F). blue sky nice breeze no humidity. Just want to rub all that in. Heading to Bondi Beach will find no frozen pipes there now will I.

All of my roomates have left except Dave from Wales. Roma from Italy left this am to go back home. Nice just having one other in my dorm. No ques for the shower or toilet. We even have a tv in our dorm a large ref., wardrobe and two bureaus. The place is really elegant for a hostel and only 20.00 a night ozzie money.

Food shopping now for the trip a coffee at one of the bistros on my street and off to Bondi Beach. I can hear it calling me so gotta go.

Jude move to BC I've only been in the airport would love to visit you there however Hallifax is nice. Good luck on your S. American trip. Keep me posted and send pics. Are you taking your bear like in Ireland?

Elke I can't waite to see you it will be like old times. Matt Matt leaves for the UK on Friday I have his home number in Portsmouth will go there for a bit and we will probably leave where virgin blue or ryan air flys from for Holland. Will keep you posted.

Shana where are you in Italy maybe after Holland can meet up with you there.

Mark will call you from North Hampton where I'll be staying in the UK when I get there. I lost your phone number where to call you have the London address I think are you still in London?

For the rest of you keep in touch good to get mail from friends and family.



Keep good thoughts.

Me.................

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home