The Many Travels of Mrs Pickles

Look here for tales from the many travels of my friend, Phyllis Bridget Gallagher as she globetrots. I met the dynamic Phyllis on a trip to Ireland in the spring of 2001 and she is still GOING! Bridget, you inspire me to travel more!

Friday, February 06, 2004

Byron Bay

Hello my friends,

Ii leftTinTenBay got the bus out of Ballina to Bryon Bay. My most favourite place in the world. Booked into Belongil Beach House Hostel which hasn't changed much since my last visit 10 years ago. As I was signing in a backpacker bus arrived picking up backpackers for a day trip. Because it said Jims Alternative Tours it was cheap and cloudy weather I was on it. What a trip and all you that have been on it before you kn ow what I mean. We went to Nimbin for the first stop. Thought I was back in the 60's and the grateful Dead would be playing somewhere. Everyone was selling hemp clothes, bags, cookies, cakes ect. I found the pub had a guiness lunch and got on a very happy bus for the next surprise. We went so far into the bush on dirt roads thought we'd never get out. We were to taste wild fruit grown on a guys farm that I almost finished a roll of film this is after Nimbin. He orignally came from New York gave up the fast lane and grew a rain forest and fruit trees. He was most interesting even to look at. Dyed red something orange long hair, painted gold toe and fingernails. His house was something that should be in some type of record book. He went with the house. He picked fruitand nuts along the narrow path winding through the bush each of tasting it until we got to the beach house. The beach house filled up the rest of the film. Alfred Hitchcock would of loved this place. A mud pond with a b ath tub sitting next to it things I have no idea what they were and nuts the best I 've ever tasted in the world were there to sample as well. We continued onto a waterfall went to a rugby field I still don't know what that was all about. Best time you bet it was. These young people were alot of fun and was glad I decided to do this.

My dorm with the stained glass windows by the way with ensuite bathroom, shower, sinks comfortable bunks is great. Again all male roomates. One from Sweden that speaks clearly with an Irish brogue (Irish girlfirnd) a swiss guy and Welsh. The Italian and Dutch one arrived later. All four of us decided we would go to town for a cheap bit to eat and possibly a club. Did that the club was great packed to the brim with people from everywhere. It was decided by the Swedish and Welsh guy I would be there sea gull and speak to the young girls they thought they would like to meet. It worked out perfectly. Everyone happy. Made more new friends some mates for the beach. Females.......................

My ant bites are doing quite well glad I'm off the farm I was on. I still look like a big fester. By tomorrow with the ocean and sun I should be just about cleared up. If I get any darker will unrecongizable.

My roomates and I decided we were to have a wine and cheese party in our dorm tonight before we go to the kitchen and cook the usual meal. Pasta. We all came into town to buy what we need here do the e-mail thing as Monday we are all booking out and going seperate ways.

I made a decision to call a number given to me at a place in South Golden Beach. Just the name attracted me. It is a small job taking care of an attorney's garden for a few hours a day picking what is ready weeding and going to the beach which is out side of his door. I got accepted and one other person will be there when I arrive on Monday. We stay and eat at his home as well. I shall keep you informed of this one Chris.

Monday will be a good one as I shall be catching a school bus yes a school bus to get to my desired location. South Golden Beach. I drove a bus for 14 years and never did we pick up anyone else but school children. This def. will be good for a laugh. My next decision after this is if or not I have been accepted at an equstrian place near Brisbane. Hopefully that will be the plan as I intend to keep calling until a placement is open for me to work. Brisbane will be the last stop over. I have a ticket for Thailand out of Sydney and shall be on the plane in March. I have a friend from Dublin that lives there and it is also where I board a ship where my next destination is Viet Namn.

I had to make some decisions on this trip as to my life and where it shall lead me. So far alot of different places. As long as I can find work which I will, I shall end up in England and of course back to Ireland. I don't plan on coming back for awhile as too much to see and do yet. Each day of my life brings different meanings and learning from others and the value of it all. Life is good and all the people I have met so far have made it better. My book shall be a good one as each day brings on a different twist. I now have a publisher will probably take another few years to complete. The way things are going there shall be another one after this.

Sending love and light to everyone

Bridget Phyllis Gallagher


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home