The Many Travels of Mrs Pickles

Look here for tales from the many travels of my friend, Phyllis Bridget Gallagher as she globetrots. I met the dynamic Phyllis on a trip to Ireland in the spring of 2001 and she is still GOING! Bridget, you inspire me to travel more!

Monday, February 02, 2004

The Many Travels from the Tin Tin Bar

First time for the internet since I left Sydney. The train ride was great all10 hours of that and another 31/2 hours on a bus to Ballina. The landscape made me think of Ireland so green hillsides dotted with cows and horses and below rivers. Of all people my seat which is assigned to you sat a nun. Between her snores, beads and up and down to the toilet nonething remarkable of the trip. First night at the hostel I had the dorm to myself. Next day however everyone arrived including a lady from Franklin Massachusetts who knows Russ. Small world I must say. The kid from NZ watched tv day and night the dutch guy had a problem with English and the Mass lady was in love and off to see her friend. I took the time to get to town get some new clothes from the St. Vincent de Paul chrity shop. 5 bucks and 5 new outfits until the next op shop. I found the RSL (like the Royal Canadian Legion or American Legion) got myself in ate a proper meal found the bar and went back for the evening for a great show they were having.

I got picked up the following day after walking who knows how many miles to a great beach (all worth it) to where I am now TinTinBar. It is only a few miles to Lenox Head another beach. I go there after work as it so so hot here. I work only 4 hours a day weeding under trees I have no idea what type they are in a orchard setting. It is hard work as it is on a hillside and feel sometimes that I'll fall over it is so steep. At the end are cattle I have befriended. A rain forest is in between all of this and when you hear of the song cukaberra in the old gum tree well it's true. they are the lowdest birds I've ever heard fighting all the time with the butcher birds that have a fairly long beak that spears other birds. Nasty things they are black and white things farily large as well.

There are ants everywhere little things that like to bite. I'm covered with bites. The ocean water helps with the welts they leave. The people here however are great. For the first time I'm eating veggie meals and liking it. Thank God I brought some tins of tuna fish and salmon with me and some M&M's as well. I eat better in my room after everyone has gone to bed.

Last night we started to eat out on the deck when I was told to move quickly. Heaven knows what is in store to get you when some one says that. Above my head was a large spider of unknown type. And down came the spider and sat besider her well not exactly as the rest of my meal was eaten inside.

The other side of here is Bryon Bay my next destination. A backpackers dream. When that will be I don't know probably when when I see more ant bites than skin.

There is also a problem with large moths going about. Here it is ok however at the hostel I hosted about 20 of them in my shower. Just another addition to add to taking showers with as two years ago it was with frogs and lizards in Kakadu National Park.

Time to put this e-mail to bed . Someone please let me know who won the superbowl as over here they have no clue what football is all about.

What ever you do don't play leap frog with unicorns.

Keep in touch.

Keep saving your money Mark Oz is the place to be. Will give you some places to work when I see you in England.

Hope your party went well Dave the Pat's won.Pagie where are you?Heading for the beach and the rest of you shoveling snow are we or is it rainy in the UK???????????????

Me

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home