The Many Travels of Mrs Pickles

Look here for tales from the many travels of my friend, Phyllis Bridget Gallagher as she globetrots. I met the dynamic Phyllis on a trip to Ireland in the spring of 2001 and she is still GOING! Bridget, you inspire me to travel more!

Friday, September 10, 2004

Another Fine Day in Dublin

Hello fellow travelers and wish to be's,

Left town this am as the weather was going to be rain and it did. Cancelled out my DIrty Boots walking tour so got on a tour bus & was quite surprised it was really good. On a double decker bus no less out to the Wicklow mountains Ballykissangel and Glendalough which means land of two lakes. Ballykissangel is really Avaron a series is made for tv in the UK called Ballykissangle. By the time we got to Glendalough it was pouring which made this monastic place more errie. It goes back to St.Kevin where he built the monastry which the arches upon entrance are still standing and so is the tower. The door to the tower is 10 feet high so people could escape manely the monks from their enmies. They pulled a rope ladder up behind them when they entered. They were smoked out however as the tower may be tall but narrow as well. There were 6 more floors to go to the top of the tower which are now long gone. It is all made of stone made thousands of years ago. It is surrounded by a hugh cemetary with celtic crosses in different stages of disaray staring back at you in silence. The ruins of the cathderal are still there but a small church made entirly of stone even the roof still stands with St. Kevins cross in the front. Beyond is an unbelievable walk to 2 lakes lower and upper. I had been given an umberella by the tour guide so I could do my thing in the rain The mist hovered over the mountains as I was nearing the lake clinging every so often upon the land and lake below. No one was about as I took this walk and as I kept looking back at the tower it seemed to follow me in the distance. BY the time I got back to the hotel where we were dropped off, people on the tour were hovering in the hotel pub trying to dry off or so they said. We went past the embassies of many countries on the way back to Dublin all trying to out do the other it seemed as each place seemed to be larger than it's neighbour. As to my dorm I'm in Dublin in the Temple Bar where it is all happening. Great dorm with 10 great people from 8 different countries. Everyone seems to gather in a place like the one I'm at which makes no one a stranger. No age, country, religion non existant in this world. Tonight we all went out to eat a cheap meal together and will meet up again at a pub around the corner for some good music. My fellow travellers does this make you want to go again?

Tomorrow I meet up with my friend Anne from Australia later in the day. My phone is finally fixed as well so all you who have my number give me a call. MY UK number. Just topped up so ready to go. Going out to a stud farm (horses) for a few hours in the am & I've booked as well an Irish connection 90 minutes of experiencing rhythm, dance and learning to play the Boohran (the irish drum) think I'll get one and bring it home to drive everyone crazy. REALLY......

Sending everyone blessings from Ireland and remember there is no place called "far away."

Joan doesn't this make you want to go back to Scotland?

Mitch will be talking to you give me a call when you get up.

Darby, Dave M. and Steven, nonething will happen until I get back will be surprised if it does.

Bill & Dale Mary is not doing well talked to Darby today keeping barely will let you know

Ken C. there is not much news on the hurricanes here plus I don't see hardely any tv where you effected? Let me know...... Wally same with you is there another one coming?

Ken R. do you want me to purchase a horse from the farm tomorrow? I'll be your trainer...........

Everyone else stay happy & keep in touch.

ME

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home