The Many Travels of Mrs Pickles

Look here for tales from the many travels of my friend, Phyllis Bridget Gallagher as she globetrots. I met the dynamic Phyllis on a trip to Ireland in the spring of 2001 and she is still GOING! Bridget, you inspire me to travel more!

Thursday, February 26, 2004

Greetings From Manly Beach

To my fellow travelers and those who wish they were,

Should of never left Bryon Bay. The train ride was a nightmare. It was a 12 hour trip mostly during the night fortunately. Someone decided they would put their feet out into the isle while sleeping on the floor which I found quite nicely and so did my ribs. After being brave and all decided would find the train guard which I did in the bar car, was given ice packets and put into first class.........................Enough of that story as it was painfull. After a few days of using the human soothing salves, nonething was happening so went down the road to a vet supply place and got my horse ointments for legs and bag balm for cows. Worked perfectly for the ribs so now up and running again.

The day after I got back to Kemps Creek got a ride to the train station to go to Manly Beach for the day. I got off the train at circular quay where you have to go down the stairs through big double doors that open out where all the ferries are for anywhere you want to travel. (these are passanger ferries) The Sydney harbour bridge is on the left and to the far right is the Sydney Opera House. This place is flash. Just as I made my appearance I could see a ferry arriving rather fast quite fast actualy. It was not heading properly where it should be and boom glass everywhere as the ticket booth was being demolished and creaks and croaks of boards and splintering of boards was all you could hear. A Asian man was washing the windows at the time outside the ticket booth (he is still running). It all took place about 50 feet from where I stood as well as alot of people. Screaming you name it was next. Pretty soon the police where there taping off the section where all this took place. The media arrived. I got chosen to speak on chanel 7 which I did not. French can be a good thing when you don't want things to happen. The interview obviously did not take place. After a bit we were all put on a fast ferry to Manly. A good way to start a morning. Now for the bit of sun and sea to soak the ole ribs. At the beach I rented a sun chair & placed myself on the crowed beach . Well the sun was great the waves perfect and as I was entering the water a loud speaker announced "blue bottle jelly fish are in everyone out nonething we can do for the stings"). Nice ay but the best was yet to come as within a short time another announcement SHARK SITINGS....................... At least the sun was warm off the beach it was over 40C ( 100). Nonething exciting on the way back just sore ribs still This of course all took place before the horse stuff was applied.

Ventured out of Kemps Creek again long enough to go to Parramatta to meet with the Canadian conection & moved in with them. Because of their jobs (archiologists) they have great stories and places to go and see things people do not ordinarly see. Jason was given the day off with pay to ride me around the place to graves, old buildings & lots and lots of stories. There are more hidden tunnels false walls in train stations with ghost stations on the other side it would shock people if they knew of these things. Another great adventure just wish the ribs were a bit better.

At present I am in Manly Beach again. Booked into a hostel to meet up with people I met in Byron Bay and heading out to the North Shore tonight for a 3 hour ghost tour of the old buildings people were put in 100 years ago with the plague. Tomorrow promises to be a good one so it will be a beach day and tomorrow night I'm open for suggestions.

Sunday going to the vinegar hill memorial for the Irish who rebelled 100 years against who I don't know (probably with the English) with people I met while in the towers of the bells of St. Mary's in Sydney back in January. These people belong to an Irish singing group after the ceremony a festival will take place. Anyone Irish you all know how good that is. I have no clue where this is but can't be too far as these people are driving and Sydney people don't like to drive too far.

Next week I'll be back on the wings of the big bird for Thailand that is where an experience of a life time begins. It shall be on a ship next instead of hostels more people to meet and 24 countries later I shall end up in Venice. Good deal ay? Set that one up while in Darwin 2 years ago and it all came together. Good things can happen.

Before I depart must leave you with an impression of a lady I met today while coming over on the ferry. If anyone does not know who Miss Marple is watch the BBC as she is alive and well. As usual I meet people who are different and boy she was. The most entertaining lady I have ever met. She is 83 years old has been married three times and the third husband is now dying in the Manly hospital. Wonder what happened to the last two. She to as a young woman travelled the world herself. She does not like anything that is common enjoys her life to the fullest and shared so many stories with myself and a gentleman who happened to sit next to her. by the time the ferry landed in Manly there was a crowd around our sitting area listening and laughing. She actually had a hat on like the one Miss Marple wears had a cup of tea severd to her while she was talking, She had the long skirt and primy shoes like Jane Marple wears as well. I could not believe it. A remarkable lady.


Any good reports from the ghost tour will fill you all in before I leave Australia which saddens me. Many good memories and friends here it is always hard to leave. I won't miss however Margarets 180,000 chickens in the many sheds.

May all your dreams unfold like the wings of a butterfly.

Me.................

Fr. Marc..........I thought I was in the right church on Wednesday last. Saw lots of people entering the cathedral had it seems the right name St. John's Did the usual beginning things we all do on entering not long after that was asked if I was lost by someone there told if ashes wanted down the next street up the hill St. Patricks would be the place they thought I was looking for Do I look Catholic?

Mark.........congrat's you did it. Like Jane Marple told me today once you become the world wonderer your never the same. Life is good Dance on tables??????????????? See you in London in April

Deborah..................no I have no plans for Alaska do you?????????????? Next place South Africa for me however if you have a deal and lots of money I'll go...........

Bill & Dale enjoy Cuba not too warm in Fredericton

Bob & Marg. Had a great time with the kids hope to see them on Sunday night after the irish thing. Haven' called them yet but do have the invite. Will try and call you.............

Dr. Don..............you would not believe the problems I had getting my meds. I think the next time we shall say it is drugs & send it on to Nimbin instead. I do have them after 4 hours of.........

Jim Darby and Russ.............will call you all on your Monday night sometime after 6 hope you'll be home. Love yoou Russ & Jim have Kaitlyn and Laura e-mail me

Everyone else keep on sending the e-mails...................................



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home