The Many Travels of Mrs Pickles

Look here for tales from the many travels of my friend, Phyllis Bridget Gallagher as she globetrots. I met the dynamic Phyllis on a trip to Ireland in the spring of 2001 and she is still GOING! Bridget, you inspire me to travel more!

Tuesday, February 10, 2004

Greetings From Downtown Brisbane

Leaving Brisbane in the am by bus back to Bryon Bay. Arrived here yesterday visiting a friend met in Scotland 3 years ago. Wasn't planning on being here this quick but it was only a one nighter at the place I was supposed to be working at in South Golden Beach. Alot of fixing up on an old house was taking place which was ok so a mattress was placed on the floor of the room I was to be sleeping on.

When I awoke yesterday am I turned over to my side only to look at a rats head with eyes and mouth open about 4" from my head his partly eaten guts a little below that and his feet and long rat tail a few inches after that. The cat did me no favours.

After vomiting and brushing my teeth I was packed and gone down the road within 10 minutes. I had been given a bus schedule by the school bus driver the day before so had over a 3 hour waite in the hot sun for the next bus. When the bus finally arrived the driver asked me where I was going my only answer to him where ever this bus is going I'm on it. I told him I would like to head for Brisbane so was dropped of at Brunswick Heads waited another hour and got to Brisbane. Mind you I took no time for shower, hair comb nonething. By the time I got into the bus terminal in Brisbane the word toilets and showers was like free gold. Never have I taken a shower before in a bus terminal however I know now why people were looking at me so odd. Took awhile to get to sleep last night trust me there is only a dog in this house and no cats. I'll have nightmares over this for awhile. I even washed everything from the rucksack last night as well just in case kitty might of even layed on anything in it.

As to the school bus ride to South Golden Beach it was an experience. Me and two floors (a double decker bus no less) of screaming kids of all ages in all types of school uniforms. I could tell the Catholic ones right away they haven't changed much since I last wore one. It was good though for a few laughs.

I shall catch up again with an Irish friend I met while in Dublin 3 years ago just happened to meet him on the street in Bryon could not believe it the day before I left Bryon.

The last night in my dorm at Bryon finally got a female. Had a great laugh with her and will be meeting up with her in March as she and I will be in Maylasia at the same time at the same place. Odd ay?

Leaving Bryon Bay on the 18th back to Sydney on the 19th by train than will be heading back over to Thailand. I know there will be many more stories to be told between now and when I leave Bryon again.

Keep love and laughter in your heart's

till the next time

The happy traveller

Darby I shall be calling you in two days you can see when I will be at Margarets.

to you the Barry's I'll give you a call when back to Sydney will head for Croydon so be ready.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home