The Many Travels of Mrs Pickles

Look here for tales from the many travels of my friend, Phyllis Bridget Gallagher as she globetrots. I met the dynamic Phyllis on a trip to Ireland in the spring of 2001 and she is still GOING! Bridget, you inspire me to travel more!

Sunday, February 29, 2004

Full Plate

Hello fellow travelers and friends ect ect ect...........................

Last e-mail guys leaving for Thailand tomorrow night. Have had some incrediable times however in the last few days. One being the ghost walk. Things do go bump in the night. It was an erie place. From around the 1800's ships would come into the dock at the santatiurom as many were sick and dying. Small pox & typhoid were the two biggies. All the buildings scattered throughout a large area have all been revamped. Each area had it's certain details according to the sickness if you were rich you went into the nicer places, if you were dying they had a place for that and as to the Irish and convicts they were in the dregs. A hospital, morgue were the most interesting and spell binding. It was dark most of the lanterns brought went out including torches (flashlights) that worked perfect before leaving. Alot of spooky goings on. It lasted for three hours. Manly has some interesting places and quite beautifull as well.

The hostel I was in I quickly moved the next morning. A real dodgy place in a dodgy area. I did not like walking down the streets at 11:30 at night alone. I felt I was in white chapel..................... Moved to another one called the Board Rider brand new a fantastic common room with a big screen TV mordern kitchen the works. No special roomies only 4 of us. Two Guys from the UK and one from Canada.

I met some people a month ago while in the towers of the bells at St. Mary's Catherdral. I had been invited to the Irish rebellion memorial at a cemetary outside of Sydney called vinegar hill. I was to meet people at St. Mary's for the 10:30 Soleum high mass (1 1/2 hours) the Cardneil was saying the mass so it was packed. Even took comm. from him. That set off the day. Next stop was Castle Hill where the events to take place was next. A wall with names ect had been erected at the castle hill cemetary. The rebellion was in 1798 by convict prisioners mostly Irish for their freedom to go back to Ireland. Because there was so few of them and many more Guards and soliders most were killed and the leaders of the rebellion were all hung. Two were in the battle of vinegar hill in Wexford Ireland and sent to Australia as convicts.

A huge Irish choir with 100 school children from the area sang songs. Flags from all the counties of Ireland were marched in by the irish dancers of the area with the pipes and whistles playing. It was grand. After that everyone went to where else the pub. It was there all the action took place. A meal and dancing to Irish bands went on. The best however was to come. The Bishop of Sydney happens to be from Ireland. All those who know me know I like to dance. Well so did the Bishop. We took up on a lively tune and did an Irish jig. Next sat down Anne Webster whom I did not know except her name at the time. We got on real well. She is from Wexford Countie Ireland so we started swaping stories and the like until she said I'm giving you my card and want you to attend my reception at my office in Sydney. She is the Consulate General from Ireland. Not bad for a backpacker and you bet I shall be attending. I also fly that night so will only be able to be there for an hour. Margaret will be attending as well as she is taking me to the airport. This just goes on and on. A full plate for a full evening. More new friends and places to stay when I come back to Australia

My ferry ride back was on the outside so I could see the lights of Sydney. A huge cruise ship with all the lights was docked by the pier. A lady sat beside me & we got talking She is a member of the band of the B-52's doing a concert in Sydney today. Even got a ticket for that concert but cannot attend. She is the base player. Just through with a concert in Auckland New Zealand. Life is never boring you just have to go out and grab it.

I shall be boarding the ferry back to Sydney in awhile to take the train back to St. Mary's for my pickup by Margaret. Australia certainly has given me it's best and I think I have left something behind of me. I will have one more walk on the beach of Manly and will miss the roar of the waves at night which has put me to sleep the last three nights I've been here.

Farewell for now until the next adventure starting in Thailand.

Sending love and light....................

Me

Wally..............................wow of course I shall be visiting you in Fla.

Moonwind.................are you still alive and kicking?????????????

Dave..................will give you a call

Ken & Sheila...........................what are you doing???????????????????????????

Joan................send energy for the ole ribs

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home