The Many Travels of Mrs Pickles

Look here for tales from the many travels of my friend, Phyllis Bridget Gallagher as she globetrots. I met the dynamic Phyllis on a trip to Ireland in the spring of 2001 and she is still GOING! Bridget, you inspire me to travel more!

Monday, February 13, 2006

Hermanus South Africa

Hi guys, Just got dropped off here for the next journey up the East Coast of Africa. Spent 4 fantastic days on a grape farm with friends. Saw the place where the Indian and Atlantic oceans meet went up the steep light house steps the hills ocean small villages mostly fishing with thatched roofs ate fresh seafood on the beach can I tell you more. There was a horrible fire that went through three weeks ago burnt brush, homes ect throughout the area on the way to where I saw the more pleasant things. The most impressive however was caves you had to climb down deep crevases to get into walk through some water than a huge room appeared. At first it was am I really doing this but the people I was with was just as cvrazy as myself so on with it. At high tide this is all under water. The grape farm with it's many acres rows upon rows of grapes waiting to be harvested was unbelievable. Most upon hillsides with the mountains in the back. The homes here as well are beautiful. Nonething like back home with snow and cold. Outside my window this am was a cape cobra snake I don't know how long but interesting to watch anyway. The night before was a huge spider they keep in the house to eat other bugs ready to make a crawl in my ruck sack. That did not go over well it now has a new home. Heaven spider heaven. Tomorrow I leave on the baz bus to take me to a place called mossell bay. The hostel I'm going to is a train on tracks located upon a beach. This will be interesting. I plan to stay there for 2 nights as there is alot to do there as well as relax upon the beach. I've been in the sun so much now I look like the natives here. The baz bus picks everyone up again for the next place you wish to hit for me it is called the wilderness. A farm located in a valley with horses hopefully this will be the placve I can find work. the place I'm at now only has four beds I chose the single one no more up and down bunks at least for another night. this place called Moby's has everything you would ever want including it's own pub which was getting active before I left to come to town. Here at the internet I met a guy from Nova Scotia retired travels like me so going for lunch with him. This is how my world operates. Don'[t know the new roomies yet probably sitting on the stools at the bar or shark cage diving which is popular here. Stay healthy and happy everyone. Life is like a book. If you have never travelled you've only read one page. Get travelling again my friends.
ME

Chris the pictures are unbelievable. I really miss you guys tell Katie to give me an email.

Jim glad I got you before you had to go out shoveling again.

Darby got the banque thing all taken care of no more problems will gell you about the email I got think people know it's done

Tracey I am sorry about your loss. Are you ok? I won't be in England until May 1st. Let me know how you are doing..........

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home