The Many Travels of Mrs Pickles

Look here for tales from the many travels of my friend, Phyllis Bridget Gallagher as she globetrots. I met the dynamic Phyllis on a trip to Ireland in the spring of 2001 and she is still GOING! Bridget, you inspire me to travel more!

Wednesday, April 12, 2006

greetings from Unbzumbi mantis and the moon backpackers

Arrived here late last night by the overcroweded baz bus. Very very hard to leave Amamapondo backpackers and Port Saint John. Stayed at this place for 16 days and still not long enoungh. It was situated high on a hill overlooking the ocean where breakage in the electricty was alot and candles were everywhere. We would load everynight so many people in the small landrover to drive to the now acient airstrip where only cows use to see the sunset. Free oysers come with the staying at amapondo they come on the trip as well as an eskie full of beers and wine coolers. People hang off the sides sit up top and we actually got 13 people inside one time. I almost felt I was back in India again with the bus situation only chickens and a few goats were missing. There was a long long veranda housing arund 8 hammocks at least 6 couches and a few chairs all beckoning to come and lie or sit in them. The bar is where everything tooik place. A raging party every night with dancing on the tables and bar. The floor was wooden making it even better. You would see cop cars lined up in the long drive only they were not on duty just hanging out at the bar. Very convient people to know. When I get to Petoria where I fly out on May 1st the cops I met there at the bar are picking me up at the hostel and away we go to have a look see around their area. There is still the Irish guy colm back in the dorm the rest of us left having to go our seperate ways except the dutch guy he is still travelling with me before he leaves back to Holland. The ocean like here as well you can hear the waves crashing at night. The sand goes on forever. The other night we hiked up some rather large hills to go to a shebeen ( township pup). It overlooked all of Saint Johns bay a bit scarey coming down as most of it was steep it's the snake thing is what can happen. There were two large black mamba's under the bar which were promptly removed and one of the banna trees in front of my dorm a boomslang (posineous tree snake) decided to take up residence. One also like going into one of the toilets as well. Nonething happens however they are just as much a part of Africa as we are. Everynight is a feast. Fisherman come daily to the hostels selling cray fish, fish, oysers, mussels the likes.This the first place where there has been a computer I could use so better try and catch up on all the happening things. Hikes again to waterfalls into Xhosa villages to meet and see the real people dance singsect. Sundays is a real treat to go to one of their gospel churches the singing is just outstanding. The friends made here are mates for life. Guess I better start liking Glasgow Scotland a bit better than I did as one girl lives there I must see. The rest are from Perth Scotland and for some reason I can't excape the jordies from New Castle. My Swiss and danish friends meeting up with again in Durban in a few days time another rocking place called Tewikini. From Durban after Easter leaving for Zulu land than onto Swaziland. I'm leaving on the first of May so don't have all that much time now. I hate to be the bearer of bad news guys but I won't be stopping like I had planned in the UK only to change planes and heading back to Boston instead. Too much to get done and ready to work which is coming eariler than expected. I shall however plan on a trip back over probably around the end of October instead. but for now back to Port St. Johns. The town is so typical african. Music blaring from just everywhere sound like bob marley is back in town again and again. of course the dancing fool takes off bouncing around the town like the pied piper with all the people behind me laughing and singing. I went one night into town with 5 others who were all sick with sinus infections to see the Dr. Dr. Mahoney no less from Ireland of course. He was great showed up the next night for one of the many raging parties brought more drugs with him for all the rtest of the sick group. No one seemed to be any better. Next move was Johnny rotten a cousin of Colms (the irish guy) who has become a some what healer. Heal he did all of us. I was told after licking the black sort of stuff than throwing my hands over my head it was a combo of burnt snakes and some kind of plants. It did the trick and in one day was up and running again. I also took some courses for the last weekend there on indian head massage and stone healing. Fanstic it was including the teachers. They even came and joined in on the party attitude enough so the following morning our class started a little later. As to here it is beautiful. A huge spa next to the rock pool above the hugh bar and dance floor. Above all this is the dorms in treetops. Only four to a dorm which is great and no bunk beds to climb. At the moment cooking a nice roast lamb for supper tonight got a ride into town to do some shopping in the village. A beautiful spot but the traveling must begin again. Meeting up with old friends along the way is now common. Patrick the german guy is now back in my dorm he was last seen about 4 weeks ago at another place. Nonething ever ends and new beginnings just keep coming. Have a happy and blessed Easter everyone I shall be spending it in Durban with a meal to booit from people I met in Away with the Faries a few weeks ago who live there. What a deal ey..

Ride only Unicorns they take you away faster and never cost a cent. Living the life as usual.
ME

emily I shall cal you when I get in the UK on the 2nd. Yoiu must make plans now for Agust again.

Mitch you also must come over the pond as well

Jimmy, Darby and Russ I love you and all my little grandbabies.......................and you to B#2

by way if you are wondering how much these hostels cost a night. You pay for three nights get the fourth one free. Each night costs in American dollars 7.00 can;'t beat that with a stick can you. You buy and cook your own food unless there is something you would rather eat the hostel cooks are making and that is usually only like 6 or 7 dollars as well.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home