The Many Travels of Mrs Pickles

Look here for tales from the many travels of my friend, Phyllis Bridget Gallagher as she globetrots. I met the dynamic Phyllis on a trip to Ireland in the spring of 2001 and she is still GOING! Bridget, you inspire me to travel more!

Tuesday, April 25, 2006

Greetings From Swazi

So much going on and so many places to go to chilling out today at the pool still here at swazi back0packers. Went to the concert at House on Fire only to find it was a rap group they were good however and incrediable dancers. Met up with some Canadian friends again and German Patrick it seems is at every other hostel. Still with my Dutch and Dane friends. My Swedish friends left today for Mozumibque while two more girls from England moved in I've been with as well up the coast. Was taken by one of the people here to a real gospel singing church it was just amazing. The talent the people have here. This country is probably on the top of being one of the most beautiful I've ever seen. The people can't be more friendly. It is so easy to hitch hike here (I don't do it alone). Everyone has trucks stop while you climb in the back and off you go. The other mode of transportation is the mini buses and they are really an adventure. They pack as many people they can get in them. It seems I always get between to large ones or on the edge of my seat with two beside me. Of course the music just roars over here loudly as well.The big event however was yesterday getting to a place about an hour and half from here to attend the Kings birthday party. 6 of us left the hostel at about 6 am to hopefully find a ride into Manzini and to find transportation from there to the stadium where the party was to be held. We got a ride luckly from a guy with a truck and we all pilled in. It seemed everyone you saw was waving and happy and all going to the same place. The Irish people we were with found a big bus going there and again like the mini's they put as many as they can just barley shutting the door and off you go. A gospel vidio was on the whole way and of course the people were just a rocking. We went up into the mountains looking down into the valleys below was sensational. We were dropped off in town and just followed the crowd walking it was about a mile away. There it was with flags from every country flying above the stadium and people just everywhere selling food, clothes you name it it was there. After going through security we found the best seats in town directly across from the Kings throne where he was to sit. There was entertainment going full tilt when we got there from dancing their native dances to huge choirs, groups singing. About 200 warriors came in with the animal skins on with their spears in hand. All ages sizes you name it. They also performed the native dances as well. Bands started coming on board with dazzling majorettes doing all types of patterns in the field. It came now time for the kings guards and his band to appear. Hundreds of guards in bright red coats with black pants and red stripes. Almost looked like the RCMP's. They filled fhe field with their marching in so many formations and the band was also unreal. Then it was time for the King's wives (all 12 of them) to arrive as well as the queen mother. Now it was the Kings turn. He arrived in a jeep painted all colours standing tall as they went around the stadium twice waving to all. AFter he went to sit on his throne time again for his guards to perform as they marched by him a salute to them was given. I don't think I have ever seen anything as spectular as this day. It just went on and on never stopping until we had to leave to find our bus hopefully to get back to Manzini than another mine to here. Tomorrow is an all day 4 wheeler quad bike day. MY dutch and dane friend are going and we are moving to another hostel situated in a game park. It takes so we are told 40 minutes to walk just to get to the main gate to get out to do things. Oh well it is supposed to be beautiful. Maybe I'll wake up in the am with a hippo in my room. Saturday is an all drive day going back into South Africa again and getting to Jo'berg for a 2 night stay at the North and South hostel and than home 19 hours later. This has been about the best adventure I have ever had. So many things I have seen and of course the party with me always goes on That is an every night event. New people to travel with hopefully to S. America this time. Will probably be on one more time before I leave for reality and the same conversations I was having before I left. I finally met a woman my age who is also a traveller. She and I are going to a sangoma tonight. A physic guy in the township not too far away and of course she has a car. Time for the sunshine and relax and waite for all my friends to come back tonight with their stories especially my newfie from Newfoundland who is an amazing musician. He plays for us at the bar every night. Still living the life to the fullest and hopefully you all are to.
ME

Chris from Bangor I'm back on the 2nd of May will call the office when I return looking forward to seeing you and pictures like you've never seen before.

Chris B #2 I expect a nice dinner next weekend like a good roast beef?

Jimmy I can't waite to see you and the dog. You and I will have to go out and celebrate. I just can't seem to get you on the phone. It will be another week and I will be there.

Darby Did you get the place schedule to give to Hycie?

Mitch We still must go on a travel together even if it is back to Mexico. I do plan on coming back to the UK not to worry we shall meet up again.

Emily & Mike so glad the company is doing so well. I do miss you guys hopefully you can come across the pond again this summer.

Tracey I think of you often so sorry things did not work out. You are a good person and you shall find another equally good one. Don't give up. Just start saving money again you can travel with me.

Wally Are those damned little fleas still around from the beach? They have them here I think I have bought out every store sprays to kill them. See you in Florida and you to David Murphy/

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home